Hello everyone~ we want to thank you for trusting Curly Top Poodles to add a poodle puppy to your family. This has been fun journey getting to know you. I hope feel bonded to your little puppy. If you ever have any questions about your poodle, please don’t hesitate to call me.
Now comes the fun part…picking up your poodle puppy. Here are a few tips, check over to make sure the transition goes smoothly.
1. Check over my Puppy Supply List to make sure you have the items listed on hand. Important: Owners of young toy puppies should buy and keep on hand a tube of Nutri-Cal & Royal Canin Mousse can puppy food. OR a can of WET puppy food.
2. Make sure you have signed our Contract.
3. The day of pick up:
5-way shot will be administrated. Please don’t not take them to pet stores, parks, sidewalks, or unknown dogs until their 2nd rounds of shots are given. This is to protect them from parvo and other diseases. A record of their 5-way shot will be provided for you to show your vet in 4 weeks. Shot records click here.
We have wormed the puppies at 2, 4, 6, & 8 weeks.
The balance of puppy is due when you come to pick your puppy up. You may pay by check, cash, PayPal, or credit card. A receipt and zero balance will be given.
Poodle Information will be given.
Please bring a blanket, towel (just incase puppy get sick on way home), water, and collar/leash if puppy is to have long car ride home.
A bag of puppy food is provided in case you plan to switch foods. Please mix their food slowly so not to upset the puppy’s tummy. But keep puppy on my puppy food for 1 week. We are using Taste of the Wild Ancient Stream with Ancient Grains Dry Dog Food OR whatever your breeder has told you the puppies are eating. PLEASE use 1 or 2 teaspoon of Royal Canin Mousse OR the wet puppy food on top of their dry puppy for the first few days until they start really getting use to their new home.
Puppy will probably cry during the first couple of nights, this is natural, seeing how they are taken away from siblings and mother.
Feedings: Feed all day until puppies are 12 weeks old, then 3 X a day, and then 2 X when they are 6 months. . Please moisten their food until they are about 9 weeks old, or longer if they are picky eaters.
Poodles puppies LOVE water, but take it up at night.
A puppy will need to be taken outside: after they wake up, eat, and anytime you see them sniffing around.
If puppy bites, provide lots of toys. Don’t let them chew on your fingers.
A great way to discipline your puppy is with a roll of newspaper, or squirt gun. This mostly gets their attention to listen to you and your command.
Right now your puppy potties on their puppy pads. We provide them with about 4 of them. So provide at least 3 and then each week lessen the pads.
4. Supervise, supervise, supervise. If you cannot watch him like a hawk, he needs to be in his crate or in his play area. Please note that puppies don't understands what may hurt them, example would be: jumping off your lap unto the floor. Their legs are little and can be easily broken!
5. Handle.Get your pup used to handling from day one, touching feet, nails, tail, ears, mouth, teeth, and belly with love.
6. Socialize! Introduce your pup to all kinds of novel things. Remote control cars. Kids playing. Agility equipment. Balloons. Cats. Car rides. Vacuumed Cleaners. Mowers. Socialize, don’t traumatize. Introduce new experiences slowly and never let your puppy get overwhelmed.
7. Remember to give heartworm pills once a month even though they are inside dogs.
8. Make a Booking Appointment to pick up your puppy.
9. Love you puppy!
I hope this helps. For some of you, this is probably over kill, but I wanted to provide you with as many tools as necessary.
Curly Top Poodles ~
Rene’ Self & Gretchen Owens